California Gov. Gavin Newsom recently passed an executive order to ban sales of new gas-powered vehicles by 2035. This move by legislation has many dealers wondering what to expect in the future as electric vehicles continue to take hold of the market. We spoke with Jim Johnson, vice president of VDX.tv, about how EVs are changing the industry.
In this segment, Johnson and anchor Jim Fitzpatrick tackle the following:
- Trends in the electric vehicle market today
- What consumers are looking for
- What goes into an effective EV marketing strategy
- Why Tesla has no marketing team
- The greatest challenges/obstacles for dealers to be successful in the electric vehicle market
- The major differences between marketing for EVs vs. conventional vehicles
- Why the average price of EVs is shrinking
- Gov. Newsom’s California ban on combustion engine vehicles
- Forecast for the market going into 2021
Prior to his role at VDX.tv, Jim Johnson worked as an agency media planner with Carat on brands including Reebok, VH1, RadioShack, and Motorola. He has also worked at Boston University as an event planner and financial advisor, roles he held while earning an M.S in advertising. Johnson was also a member of the United States Marine Corps Reserve, where he learned the importance of leadership and teamwork.
For even more great advice and insight from Johnson, be sure to watch our full interview above or check out our past interviews here.
Did you enjoy this interview with Jim Johnson? Please share your thoughts, comments, or questions regarding this topic with host Jim Fitzpatrick at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Car Biz Today, the official resource of the retail automotive industry.