Deloitte recently ran a survey related to consumer thoughts about self-driving vehicles. The results of this study might surprise you, especially with the big push to go electric in the future. Here are a few of the key takeaways from the consumer survey on self-driving cars and EVs.

Safety Concerns

It appears Americans have a deep concern about the safety of self-driving cars and EVs. Only 25% of people believe these future vehicles will be safe. On the other hand, 28% are undecided and a whopping 47% think they are unsafe.

Automakers have a lot of work to prove that these vehicles will be safe. It’s going to take some serious PR work to change perceptions.


Trusted Brands

It’s clear that the American public wants a trusted brand to offer this technology. In fact, 63% of people say it makes them more likely to purchase an autonomous vehicle. Additionally, 28% are neutral. There are only 9% of people are less likely to buy a self-driving car if it’s offered by a reputable brand.

So, what are these brands that can be trusted? By far, consumers prefer OEM, with respondents choosing this option 47% of the time. Another 28% would like to see a new player or company in the market. The final 25% would want a tech company to spearhead the operations.

What’s Holding Them Back?

With so many new EVs available to drive, what’s holding the American public back from getting behind the wheel? The number one concern stems from the expensive upfront cost. While drivers save money by not purchasing fuel, it can be a big expense to pay immediately.

Related: Five ways car dealers can prioritize safety for employees and customers

The second holdup has to do with the restrictive driving ranges. After all, not everyone drives just a few miles each day. EVs can be difficult to work into a family road trip, with stops for charging along the way.

Finally, respondents were worried about the lack of charging infrastructure. It’s easy to find available charging stations around the metropolitan areas, but traveling outside of the urban environment proves to be more difficult.

Future of EVs

How are we doing in America in terms of getting people excited about EVs? According to the study, there’s still a lot of work to do. 80% of people still want a gasoline or diesel engine in their next vehicle. What is the other 20% thinking about?

15% are opting for a hybrid EVs. This option is a great transitioning step into the world of EVs. Plus, there’s less range anxiety and prices can be lower. However, it’s still not bringing emissions to zero, thereby contributing to climate change.

Sadly, only 3% of the respondents are considering an electric vehicle as their next purchase. The last 2% are looking at “other” without specifying what that means.

With plenty of pervasive skepticism surrounding EVs and self-driving cars, automakers must get to work in persuading the American population to make the switch. New technologies must also be released to increase driving range while prices are dropped. Until then, nothing much is likely to change.

Did you enjoy this article from Brian Jones? Read other articles on CBT News here. Please share your thoughts, comments, or questions regarding this topic by submitting a letter to the editor here, or connect with us at newsroom@cbtnews.com.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay up to date or catch-up on all of our podcasts on demand.

While you’re here, don’t forget to subscribe to our email newsletter for all the latest auto industry news from CBT News.