The automotive industry has spent the last few years navigating a tumultuous economy and volatile car market. With the post-pandemic era introducing even more challenges and difficulties, the need for leadership and innovation is critical.
On this episode of Inside Automotive, host Jim Fitzpatrick is joined by Brian MacDonald, CEO and president of CDK Global. Throughout his career, MacDonald has proven his worth time and time again as a corporate leader in a variety of sectors, including the automotive industry. Under his guidance, CDK Global has continued to provide the software solutions and analytical insights that many dealers depend on to run their operations. Now, he shares his perspectives on the difficulties facing retailers and how CDK Global is rising to the challenges of the modern car market.
1. Dealers are preparing for a return to normalcy in the automotive industry but continue to face low inventory, with heavy variances between brands.
2. The automotive industry is comprised of three parties: consumers, dealers and manufacturers. Relationships between sectors are often fractured, underlining the importance of external collaborators, such as CDK Global, who help construct bridges between the three facets.
3. Dealers are struggling to provide a seamless transition between the online and in-store car buying journeys. Omnichannel experiences are crucial to meeting customer expectations and improving brand awareness.
4. The automotive industry is often weighed down by the complexity of its business model and toolkits. CDK’s Dealership Xperience is a comprehensive software suite that allows dealers to run their business on one platform more efficiently and effectively.
5. By simplifying their software solutions, dealership groups can accelerate their operations and manage multiple franchises without sacrificing each brand’s unique qualities.
"At the end of the day, dealers are the best entrepreneurs in the country...and they figure it out. That's what's great about dealers and the dealer model and why that model is here to stay." — Brian MacDonald