TSLA362.86017.73%
GM87.9301.78%
F14.4100.42%
RIVN16.9700.96%
CYD39.8801.17%
HMC33.3700.77%
TM197.3505.11%
CVNA69.880-1.64%
PAG216.8700.32%
LAD370.7300.06%
AN199.490-0.6%
GPI261.850-1.97%
ABG214.810-0.56%
SAH77.450-0.33%
TSLA362.86017.73%
GM87.9301.78%
F14.4100.42%
RIVN16.9700.96%
CYD39.8801.17%
HMC33.3700.77%
TM197.3505.11%
CVNA69.880-1.64%
PAG216.8700.32%
LAD370.7300.06%
AN199.490-0.6%
GPI261.850-1.97%
ABG214.810-0.56%
SAH77.450-0.33%
TSLA362.86017.73%
GM87.9301.78%
F14.4100.42%
RIVN16.9700.96%
CYD39.8801.17%
HMC33.3700.77%
TM197.3505.11%
CVNA69.880-1.64%
PAG216.8700.32%
LAD370.7300.06%
AN199.490-0.6%
GPI261.850-1.97%
ABG214.810-0.56%
SAH77.450-0.33%

Ford ends $6.5B EV battery deal with LG Energy Solution amid EV pullback

Ford halts multibillion-dollar EV battery deal with LG Energy Solution amid policy shifts, declining demand, and EV model cancellations.
LG Energy Solution, Ford

On the Dash:

  • Ford is scaling back its EV strategy, terminating a $6.5 billion battery deal and canceling multiple EV models amid shifting demand and policy conditions.
  • Battery suppliers are feeling the impact, with both LG Energy Solution and SK On exiting major Ford-related projects.
  • Long-term EV investments are under review, signaling continued uncertainty for manufacturers, suppliers and dealers planning for electrification.

South Korea’s LG Energy Solution said Wednesday that Ford has terminated an electric vehicle battery supply agreement valued at about 9.6 trillion won ($6.50 billion), marking another major setback in the automaker’s electric vehicle strategy.

LG Energy Solution said in a regulatory filing that Ford issued a termination notice after deciding to halt production of some EV models, citing policy changes and a shifting outlook for EV demand.

Sign up for CBT News’ daily newsletter and get the latest industry stories delivered straight to your inbox

The battery maker had signed two contracts last October to supply EV batteries to Ford in Europe, with production scheduled to begin in 2026 and 2027. The cancellation underscores growing uncertainty around long-term EV investments as automakers reassess demand forecasts and regulatory conditions.

Ford’s decision follows a broader restructuring of its EV business. On Monday, the automaker said it will take a $19.5 billion writedown and cancel several electric vehicle models, representing one of the most significant examples yet of the industry’s retreat from battery-powered vehicles. The move comes as the Trump administration’s policies and softer consumer demand weigh on EV profitability.

The termination of the LG Energy Solution deal is not an isolated case. Last week, South Korean battery maker SK On said it decided to end its joint venture with Ford for battery factories in the United States. In 2022, Ford and SK On invested $11.4 billion to build the joint battery plants.

Together, the developments highlight mounting pressure across the EV supply chain, as automakers and battery manufacturers scale back or delay investments made during earlier periods of aggressive electrification plans.

Read More
More from Industry News
Foundation Automotive 'insolvent' after losing $5 million judgment appeal

Foundation Automotive ‘insolvent’ after losing $5 million judgment appeal

- August 21, 2026
On the Dash: Foundation Automotive's CFO told a North Dakota court the company is insolvent, and creditor HPS Investment Partners has taken control of its board. The U.S. Court of...
Stellantis delays Belvidere reopening as new platform anchors turnaround strategy

Stellantis delays Belvidere reopening as new platform anchors turnaround strategy

- August 21, 2026
On the Dash: Stellantis now plans to build the next-generation Jeep Cherokee at Belvidere beginning in 2028. STLA One will support more than 30 Stellantis vehicles and more than 2...
FTC, Connecticut secure $4 million settlement with Nissan dealer over unauthorized fees

FTC, Connecticut secure $4 million settlement with Nissan dealer over unauthorized fees

- August 20, 2026
On the Dash: The FTC and Connecticut secured a $4 million settlement with Manchester City Nissan over alleged unauthorized fees and CPO-related charges. The dealership allegedly charged customers to certify...
U.S. delays 50% Canada tariffs as Trump says trade deal is near

U.S. delays 50% Canada tariffs as Trump says trade deal is near

- August 19, 2026
On the Dash: The 50% tariffs on Canadian goods have been delayed by three days. Auto tariffs remain unresolved in the latest U.S.-Canada negotiations. Trade talks could bring further changes...
CBT News
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.