TSLA426.0108.16%
GM78.7901.58%
F14.9301.26%
RIVN14.2200.07%
CYD57.3501.69%
HMC26.4700.21%
TM189.080-0.58%
CVNA68.2803.89%
PAG164.7303%
LAD276.5802.05%
AN189.9803.55%
GPI326.1806.07%
ABG187.7202.34%
SAH78.1602.26%
TSLA426.0108.16%
GM78.7901.58%
F14.9301.26%
RIVN14.2200.07%
CYD57.3501.69%
HMC26.4700.21%
TM189.080-0.58%
CVNA68.2803.89%
PAG164.7303%
LAD276.5802.05%
AN189.9803.55%
GPI326.1806.07%
ABG187.7202.34%
SAH78.1602.26%
TSLA426.0108.16%
GM78.7901.58%
F14.9301.26%
RIVN14.2200.07%
CYD57.3501.69%
HMC26.4700.21%
TM189.080-0.58%
CVNA68.2803.89%
PAG164.7303%
LAD276.5802.05%
AN189.9803.55%
GPI326.1806.07%
ABG187.7202.34%
SAH78.1602.26%

Ceasefire deal aims to stabilize oil markets and ease regional tensions

The temporary agreement pauses U.S. and Israeli military action as Iran allows limited passage through a critical global oil route.

Ceasefire deal aims to stabilize oil markets and ease regional tensions

On the Dash:

  • The ceasefire temporarily halts the escalation of military conflict while tying peace efforts to the reopening of a critical global shipping route.
  • Energy markets reacted immediately, underscoring the Strait of Hormuz’s role in global oil supply stability.
  • Significant uncertainty remains as negotiators work to convert the short-term pause into a lasting agreement.

The United States and Iran have agreed to a two-week ceasefire that pauses escalating military conflict and reopens limited access to the Strait of Hormuz, President Donald Trump announced Tuesday.

The agreement temporarily halts a six-week conflict that has killed thousands and disrupted global energy markets, while creating a narrow window for negotiators to reach a broader, long-term deal. Israel has also agreed to the ceasefire, according to a White House official.

Sign up for CBT News’ daily newsletter and get the latest industry stories delivered straight to your inbox.

Trump said the U.S. would suspend military strikes for two weeks in exchange for Iran ensuring safe and immediate passage through the strategic waterway. Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi confirmed that Tehran would allow coordinated transit through the strait during the same period, provided attacks against Iran cease.

The announcement followed a sharp escalation earlier in the day, when Trump warned of severe consequences if Iran failed to comply with U.S. demands. U.S. forces had already conducted strikes on Iran’s Kharg Island, a major oil export hub, hours before the ceasefire was revealed.

Diplomatic efforts intensified after Iran briefly cut off negotiations in response to U.S. threats targeting civilian infrastructure. Pakistan played a central role in reviving talks, urging both sides to agree to a temporary pause tied to reopening the strait. Officials said a 10-point proposal from Iran is now serving as the basis for continued negotiations.

Despite the breakthrough, key details of the agreement remain unclear, including enforcement mechanisms and longer-term commitments from both sides. The ceasefire’s success will likely depend on whether commercial shipping resumes more broadly through the Strait of Hormuz, which handles a significant share of global oil flows.

Energy markets reacted quickly to the announcement. Oil prices, which had surged to record levels amid fears of prolonged disruption, declined after news of the ceasefire. Analysts said prices could stabilize near $100 per barrel if the agreement holds, though volatility is expected to continue.

The two-week pause marks a critical test for both diplomatic and economic stability, as negotiators attempt to convert the temporary truce into a lasting resolution while global markets remain sensitive to developments in the region.

More from Global Industry News
Volkswagen rules out Chinese plant talks amid Europe overcapacity concerns

Volkswagen rules out Chinese plant talks amid Europe overcapacity concerns

- May 21, 2026
On the Dash: Volkswagen continues restructuring European operations as weak demand and overcapacity pressure profitability. Localized production strategies are becoming more important as tariffs and global competition reshape manufacturing. Ongoing...
Stellantis expands China EV strategy with $1.17B Dongfeng partnership

Stellantis expands China EV strategy with $1.17B Dongfeng partnership

- May 15, 2026
On the Dash: Stellantis is accelerating its EV strategy through deeper partnerships with Chinese automakers and suppliers. China’s leadership in EV technology continues to reshape global manufacturing and sourcing decisions. ...
Trump’s China visit raises new questions for U.S. automakers

Trump’s China visit raises new questions for U.S. automakers

- May 14, 2026
On the Dash: Dealers should expect continued uncertainty around EV sourcing, tariffs, and future U.S.-China trade policy. National security concerns surrounding connected vehicles could reshape future technology standards and inventory...
President Trump meets with Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing this week. It comes as China says it exports more EVs than ICE cars, despite a U.S. ban on Chinese auto imports.

China hits new EV export milestone as Trump heads to Beijing to talk trade

- May 11, 2026
On the Dash: China exported more EVs than gas cars for the first time in April. U.S. tariffs are instead redirecting Chinese EVs to Europe and Latin America. Congress and...
CBT News
Privacy Overview

This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful.